What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a tax relief allowing UK charities to reclaim an extra 25% in tax on every eligible donation made by a UK taxpayer. This adds an extra 25% to the donation.
There are certain rules set by the HMRC about what donations are eligible. If any of the reasons listed below apply to your donation, it will not be eligible for Gift Aid.
- You’re not a UK taxpayer
- You’re donating on behalf of someone else or a group of people
- You’re donating on behalf of a company
- You’re receiving goods, rights or services in return for your donation
- The display name on your donation is different from your donor name
- Your address is a non-residential address
There are also benefits to higher-rate UK taxpayers – please contact HMRC or your financial advisor for more information.
Where will my Gift Aid go?
We offer two options to donors whose donations are eligible for Gift Aid:
- donate it to us (The Global Returns Project Limited, a charity Registered in England and Wales, Charity number 1186683) to help cover the costs of running the Global Returns Project;
- donate it to the constituents of the Global Returns Portfolio (in this case, the entire Gift Aid amount will be passed on without deductions).
You will be asked to choose which option applies to your donation during the donation process.
What do I have to do?
When you donate, you’ll be asked to confirm whether or not you are a UK taxpayer. Please note that Gift Aid can only be reclaimed on donations made by individuals who pay UK income or capital gains tax at a rate at least equal to the amount reclaimed on their donations in the current tax year. If in doubt, please contact our helpdesk via [email protected].
What if I am not a UK taxpayer?
The Gift Aid scheme is unique to the UK. If you are not a UK taxpayer, you can still make a donation, but your donation will not be eligible for Gift Aid.
What if I don’t live in the UK?
A person living overseas can still claim Gift Aid provided that they are a UK taxpayer and can satisfy the Gift Aid declaration in the donation process.
What if my donation isn’t eligible for Gift Aid?
If your donation isn’t eligible for Gift Aid we’ll still send 100% of the donation to your chosen charity.
I forgot to add Gift Aid to a recent donation
Please contact our helpdesk via [email protected]